I can’t believe I’m typing this – but I’m leaving my beloved Summer of Muskrat challenge.
I made it 45 days, On day 46, Eric, Ashley and I went on a mountain bike ride that destroyed me. Seriously, this is what I looked like:
It was my SDOL. Sweatiest Day of Life – a true milestone.
Driving home, as the sun was setting, I thought about the 4 miles I still had to run before the dawn of tomorrow. I looked down at my right foot… the one that has been aching in various ways for a good month now. I thought about what I would say to someone whining to me about an injury. I would tell them to rest. Let some healing happen. Eat some nachos and chill the F out.
When we finally got home, I walked right past my expectant looking running shoes and flopped onto the couch. I ate a lot of nachos. I watched Anderson Silva beat Chael Sonnen. I was happy.
Stuff I learned from Summer of Muskrat:
- All I need to do to really piss Eric off is go on a run through the Flats. Especially after dark.
- I can run on a full stomach of Indian food.
- I can run four miles when I’m drunk.
- Black spandex is a girl’s best friend.
- There’s always time in every day (even the busiest of days) to get some exercise.
- For reasons unknown to me, people don’t actually mind if you have to disappear for 40 minutes and you come back reeking of sweat and shame.
- Amazing life moments happen when you dink around outside a lot! Firefly storms, black bear sightings, baby animals of all kinds… these are only a few of the experiences brought to me on SOM runs…
- Never forget to sunscreen your feet when you’re beach frolicking or your running shoes will become your worst nightmare.
- Your body will tell you what to do. Sometimes it will tell you to eat nachos.
- I still have a lot to learn.
Best of skill and daring to the hardcore remaining rats. Thank you ilikemargarine.com for pineapples, fireflies and marshmallow cream.